Restorations performed to rehabilitate the decayed, fractured or cracked teeth located in the rear are called inlays and onlays. They are also known as indirect fillings and are sometimes used as conservative alternatives to full coverage dental crowns. Inlays and onlays are long-lasting reparative solutions that successfully re-establish aesthetics and functionality of the damaged tooth. They fit well, are strong and a widely chosen alternative to traditional fillings. Tooth decay and structural damage are repaired with inlays and onlays fabricated in a dental laboratory and then bonded to the damaged tooth.
In an inlay the material is bonded into the centre of the tooth and in an onlay cusps may be included depending on the extent of damage and if full coverage of the biting surface is required.
Benefits of inlays and onlays:
Procedure Inlays and onlays comprise of two visits
- Inlays and Onlays are conservative preparations that are bound to offer a better fit and preserve most of the healthy tooth
- They are one of the best alternatives to full coverage crowns
- It comes with assured aesthetic longevity and do not discolor like resin fillings
- Tooth structure is safeguarded in addition to restoring damaged and decayed areas
- Functional endurance is guaranteed
- Inlays seal the space between teeth tightly avoiding bacterial formations
Inlays and Onlays at Dentistree Dental Hospital
- First, the damaged tooth is prepared
- The impression of the tooth is taken where an inlay and onlay has to be created
- An inlay preparation typically involves making an initial entry into the central fossa; a tapered fissure bur is used for the purpose; Mesial and distal proximal boxes are created with a thin layer of enamel left as a protective modality to the adjacent tooth
- Onlay tooth preparation involves reduction of cusps, preparation of non-centric cusp, gingival and shoulder bevels and retention grooves
- In the following appointment, the inlay and onlay are cemented into place after removing the temporary restoration
- Treatment completion is ensured with a smooth finish
At Dentistree Dental Hospital, Lucknow the latest technology is used to send images
of the damaged tooth to the technician to discuss optimal treatment options. Treatment plans are formulated by
communicating real-time information with the patients.